Monday, September 12, 2016

The Weekend Review

My family and I just got back from Maine a few days ago. While we were there we went to Acadia National Park. There was also a beach called Sand Beach. At the beach there were so many rocks! They were big boulders. They were in the water. When I looked down on them it was like seeing little islands. I climbed on one. Waves rushed around me but I was dry. After that, we got into the car and drove to Cadillac Mountain. When we got to the top, we got out of the car and had a picnic on the mountain.

Later, we went to Bar Harbor to get ice cream. There were a lot of people and a lot of souvenir shops. I fingered the pocketknife that was in my overalls pocket. My dad had gotten it for me in Acadia. On the front was an M for Marley and on the back was Acadia National Park. We finally found an ice cream place and I shared a brownie sundae with Ella. 





The day after that, we went to the Henry Knox Museum. I learned that Henry Knox was born on July 25, 1750 and died October 25, 1806. He had 13 children, but only 3 survived to adulthood, and he brought artillery to George Washington all the way from Fort Ticonderoga, New York to Boston. Without cars you would think this an impossible feat, but Henry Knox managed to get the cannons to Boston in the winter of 1775. This was helpful because the colonists were in great need of cannons so they could put them in their new fort in Dorchester Heights.





On the last day of our trip we went to Old Orchard Beach.  It was a pier next to an amusement park right on the beach. Cool right?! Anyway we walked on the pier and there were so many shops. They were selling souvenirs, junk food, ice cream, candy… some shops were boarded up because summer was over.  We stopped at a restaurant to have lunch. I ordered chicken fingers, which I always order no matter what. After we ate, we went to the beach.


Just because we were on vacation didn’t mean we had a break from school. My parents kept me working hard with botany and my family tree. 



No comments:

Post a Comment