Sunday, September 18, 2016

Climbing Mount Monadnock

On Thursday September 15, 2016 my family and I went to Mount Monadnock in New Hampshire. After a two hour car drive we arrived at the 3,165 foot mountain. Remember when I wrote about Cadillac mountain in Maine? Well Mount Monadnock is much, much, MUCH bigger and we went up Cadillac Mountain by car. We would have to hike up Mount Monadnock without one!

Climbing Mount Monadnock was no easy feat as we soon discovered. This would not take 20 minutes and we would not eat lunch until we got to the top.  One of the reasons it was so hard was because there was no path, only rocks. Big rocks. There were two main trails up the mountain. The White Dot trail and The White Cross trail. You could tell which trail you were on because there were white dots or white crosses painted on the rocks. We took the white cross trail because my father said it was less steep. My father had gone to Mount Monadnock for a school field trip when he was in middle school.

We had been climbing for a while now. Almost an hour.  Like everyone else I was hungry, tired and disappointed to hear we still had a ways to go. Correction. Like everyone else, EXCEPT Ella, I was hungry, tired and disappointed to hear we still had a ways to go. Ella was enjoying herself thoroughly hopping from rock to rock like a little mountain goat. I think it was because the woods around the mountain were so serene and quiet, two of the things Ella likes best.

I thought I could never look at a white cross again when my mother saw a tiny wood frog. Let me just say the wildlife situation on the mountain was pretty bleak. The only animal we had seen was a brilliantly blue beetle and later many black grass grazer crickets. Eager for something to take my mind off my throbbing feet, I caught the frog immediately. In my cupped hands, it scrambled around in them. It felt slimy. I opened my hands a little and its head popped out. It had big golden eyes. They looked like beads. My sisters crowded around. Ella tried to pry my hands apart. After my mom took a few pictures, I opened my hands, put it down and it hopped away.

We were getting close to the top. I could tell because there were less trees. According to legend, the early settlers had burned the trees at the top of the mountain so many times that they never grew again. The top of the mountain was bald. Bald, bald, bald, bald, as bald as a ping pong ball. Another reason I could tell we were getting close to the top was because the trees didn’t congregate in groups, there were large gaps and through the gaps you could see the entire forest below you. The view was exhilarating. You were so high! It was like being in an airplane with a glass bottom. It made me fell like the world was expanding.

 By this time I was crawling on the rocks . There were no longer rocks, just massive flat rocks. There was less a  chance of spraining your ankle and more of a chance of slipping and breaking your neck. I was crawling because I was bone weary. My legs felt like they were made of lead and my feet felt like bricks. I was also hungry. It had been at least an hour since we had snack, a few granola grains. We weren’t allowed to eat until we got to the top. As a prize for reaching it, my dad had bought three chocolate covered Oreos.
After lots more climbing we came to a cairn and a sign. A cairn is a pile of rocks that are signals you are getting close to the top of Mount Monadnock. The sign said: Bald Rock ahead. It also said: Do not expect to be rescued. Bald Rock was not the summit. It was just a bald rock. Anyway, I could see the summit. A tall rock, like Mount Rushmore without the faces. I sucked in my breath and we began to climb it. It was so amazing looking down. And then we were at the summit.  We ate lunch and got our promised Oreos and looked down on what felt like the whole world.

The way down was like the way up except all the pain was directed at our feet and legs. It is not worth describing because the practice of going up had helped us get tougher and the way down felt easier. Compared to this, the Baker Sanctuary ground is as smooth as a ballroom floor. Getting to the parking lot felt like a cinch compared to our treacherous and tiring route up. I was so glad when we saw the parking lot. Lucia was practically kissing the ground. Being on top of the mountain was amazing, but I prefer being safe and sound on the ground.


No comments:

Post a Comment