Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Kids Design at the Cooper Hewitt



The Andrew Carnegie Mansion
On my recent visit to New York City, I went to see the Cooper Hewitt Smithsonian Design Museum. The museum celebrates creativity and design through the ages. It was founded by Peter Cooper’s granddaughters and is housed in the late Andrew Carnegie’s mansion on 5th Avenue across the street from Central Park. 

Both Cooper and Carnegie were wealthy industrialists, philanthropists, and politicians. Peter Cooper was an American inventor and candidate for president of the United States. Cooper also founded The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art. 
Andrew Carnegie founded the Carnegie Steel Company in Pittsburg, PA. He was committed to world peace, science and education. Carnegie wrote an article called “The Gospel of Wealth” which encouraged the wealthy to donate their money  to good causes. In 1972 The Carnegie Corporation donated the Carnegie Mansion and property to the Smithsonian Institute. In 1976 it became the home of the Cooper-Hewitt Museum.


Me and Jen and our new necklaces!
On the day of my visit, it was a rainy Saturday morning. We had been driving in circles for what felt like hours and found parking (at last!) a few blocks away, right in front of Central Park. My family and I were participating in a program called Target Design Kids with Jen Cogliantry. During this workshop we learned how to make a half-hitch rope necklace designed by Jen Cogliantry, a jewelry designer based in Brooklyn.  Jen led us through the design process along with along with two Cooper Hewitt educators.
While the half-hitch necklace looked complicated, it was actually a simple pattern. After weaving and knotting the cotton cord, I glued wooden balls to the ends so they wouldn't fray, and glued pompoms to the front as decoration. Ella glued strips of rope to the necklace. “ It’s for bunny” she told me, “do you think it will look good on him?”  If it fits! I responded. 

Later, I saw some of Jen’s jewelry collection. The items displayed were a tiny pair of half-hitch earrings encased in 14k gold, a gray half-hitch necklace, and another pair of knotted gold earrings. I talked to Jen about homeschooling and jewelry design. In the end she invited me to her studio in Brooklyn. I can't wait to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment