Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Playa Ostional

When we got to the place where Olive Ridley turtles nest, the first thing I thought was, “ HOT, HOT, HOT! The sand at Playa Ostional was as hot as a stovetop. I was running toward the water to soak my feet, when I stepped on something. I stopped and picked it up. It was a dried egg the size of a bluebird egg. As we walked down the beach I noticed more of these strange eggs. Were these shrunken turtle eggs peeking out of the obsidian sand? The sand was littered with the remains of papery turtle shells.  

We walked along the beach and came to a little cove. It appeared to a be a river mouth over a sandbank, home to some mangroves and biodiversity. Blue Herons, Egrets, and beautiful, white, driftwood was piled near the water bank. The marbled, petrified, wood sat against the black sand like stars in the Costa Rican night sky. After meandering along the beach we returned to our car. We were tired, thirsty and ready for a nice cool beverage at La Tortugas, a local restaurant.


No comments:

Post a Comment